S.A Show Pits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House Train Your Pup.

2 posters

Go down

House Train Your Pup. Empty House Train Your Pup.

Post  Mike.D Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:44 pm

TIP #1: Watch for the Potty Sign. Recognizing that puppy needs to potty is the first thing you should do. One of the easiest signs to spot is the sniffing. Excessive sniffing of the ground is one way to tell that your puppy is thinking about going potty on your nice rug or carpet. Pick the pup up and set it outside.

TIP #2: Be Prepared. Be prepared to clean up some accidents and don't freak out about it. One thing that always made me laugh was how people reacted when they're new puppy went in the house. They acted surprised, like it was a shocker the little thing used the bathroom. So be prepared to clean up some mistakes and remember, the little darling is just doing what comes natural it's your job to teach it were it's okay to go.

TIP #3: Take it Outside. When you notice the dog is thinking about going to the bathroom pick it up and take it outside. I would recommend taking it to the same spot every time. This way clean up is easier because you know it will be right there and not all over the yard. If an accident occurs be calm, carpet can be cleaned, simply pick up the dog place it outside in it's potty area and leave it there (you should be with it) for a few minutes.

TIP #4: Never Correct. This is one many of you may not agree with, but here me out. You don't have to yell at the dog, spank it, and for God's sake don't rub it's nose in the stuff. That's just down right rude. Calmly pick the dog up, set it outside, and proceed to clean up the mess. Bring the puppy back in the house and go on with your life. Correction is a set back in this case because once you scare the puppy it will start to hide and do it's thing. Which makes the process longer and more difficult. No harsh corrections means the puppy will have it's mind at ease and will be able to learn what you want it to do. Which is go outside to potty.

TIP #5: Be Consistent. I know in this busy world it's hard to be there all the time to get the little darling outside to use the bathroom. Consistency is key here, the more times the dog is let out to use the bathroom when it needs to go the less time it will take to learn that's the right thing to do.
Mike.D
Mike.D

Back to top Go down

House Train Your Pup. Empty Potty training

Post  Tiff Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for that Mike, now what about if your pup sleeps indoors then what do you do? Say they want to go 'potty' in the middle of the night and you are fast aslp?

Tiff

Back to top Go down

House Train Your Pup. Empty Re: House Train Your Pup.

Post  Mike.D Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

I have applied this same thing with newspaper. My dogs will go on the newspaper.

Lay some paper down in your bathroom and teach the dog to go there. It makes life a easier if they do it in one place.

The other thing is once you got your dog house trained they should wake you up to go outside.

The bathroom is just for those night that you can't or don't wake up.
Mike.D
Mike.D

Back to top Go down

House Train Your Pup. Empty Re: House Train Your Pup.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum